Installation Guide for QGIS on Mac
Quantum GIS is a free open-source GIS software package built on the GIS package GRASS. QGIS runs on Windwos, Linux and Mac. Below are detailed instructions for installing QGIS on Mac using the compiled binary files available from the kyngchaos web page. This installation requires that dependent software packages, GDAL and matplotlib, first be installed before QGIS. Also, the compiled binaries were not reviewed by Apple so the installation packages cause an "unidenttified developer error" notice to come up (see Apple's comment on this issue), but this error is easily overided using Ctl+click.
- Goto the QGIS download page on the kyngchaos.com website.
- Download the GDAL Complete 1.11 (or newer) framework package. Direct download link to DGAL complete 1.11 dmg file.
- Open the GDAL complete dmg package and run the installer. If you see an "unidentified developer" error, hold the Ctl key while clicking on the dmg icon and select Open. This will bypass the Apple restrictions and allow you to continue installing the package.
- Download the matplotlib 1.4..3-1 (or newer) installer package. Direct download link to the matplotlib 1.4.3 dmg file.
- Open the matplotlib dmg package and run the installer. Again, use Ctl click to circumvent the "unidentified developer" error as above.
- Download the QGIS 2.10.1-1 (or newer) dmg package. Direct link to QGIS 2.10.1-1 dmg file.
- Open the QGIS dmg package and run the installer. Again, use Ctl click to circumvent the "unidentified developer" error.